Tuesday 9 October 2012

Inspiration from the banks of the Danube

I've just got back from a weekend in Budapest, which is a beautiful, civilized and seemingly safe & clean city, bestriding the Danube with gorgeous fairy-tale spired buildings, interspersed by the odd outrageously ugly 1980s hotel. A little strange, but fully of colourful inspiration for the knitter.

For instance, the Basilika of St. Stephen has a slightly macabre chapel of the saint's thousand year old right hand, decorated by the most splendid Art Nouveau stained glass windows, showing Hungary's most important saints in glittering colour:

Imagine this as a Kaffe Fassett throw...

And of course when I saw the roof of St. Matthias, I cooed, "Look, a Fair Isle church!"
 
I knitted on the plane on the way out, as I am now fairly confident I can get my Brittany birch sock needles through Heathrow security, but banished them to the hold on the way back.
 
If only international airports could get themselves together to have a coherent published policy on needles...

No comments:

Post a Comment