Monday 4 March 2013

Little lost sheep

The other morning, I got to Ealing Broadway station. As usual, the first tube out was already full. I sat down on the other, put down my bags, opened my Metro... and realised something was missing. My precious Kate Davies Sheep Heid. My first Fair Isle project, AND a birthday present from my mum... Well, for that hat I get off the tube and hunt. Back down the platform and out. I know the most likely place I left it is on the E8 bus. There's still an E8 parked over the road. The driver lets me on to have a look, but I've got a feeling it's not the same driver as on my bus before. Either way, no hat; nor does it seem to be anywhere on the ground. I've got form for loss of hats, but I'm particularly upset about this one.

I know there's no point phoning the bus garage yet, but I use my phone to register on the TFL lost property, and head for Stratford magistrates court, rather later than I was intending, as the tube I had been sitting on is of course also full.

End of the day, no reply.

Have my sheep gone for good?

Next day, I call Brentford bus garage. My husband has just texted me to tell me he is taking me for dinner in Richmond to cheer me up. Man at the bus garage "What colour is it?". Me "It's hand knitted. It's got sheep on it." Him (repeats) "What colour is it?" Me "It's all different colours..." (I am clearly going to need to settle on a colour) "Brown". Man "It's here"

Hurrah!!

I stop off en route to Richmond that evening (bus driver kindly lets me stay on the bus as far as the depot, rather than getting off with the very drunk men and walking up Commerce Road).

And here we are, reunited, on the train to Richmond:



Whether I will ever dare wear it anywhere again is another question...

No comments:

Post a Comment